Bachelor’s in Aviation

UMAir Logo.

Earn a B.S. in Aviation & Become an FAA Certified Commercial Pilot

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Aviation

In the Fall of 2013, the University of Maine at Augusta (UMA), in conjunction with Maine Instrument Flight, introduced a new four-year bachelor’s degree program. The new course of study allows students to obtain a bachelor’s degree in aviation and obtain their commercial pilot certificate, instrument & multi-engine ratings, and become a flight instructor. Click here for more information.

UMAir School of Aviation sign.

Because of UMA’s low public tuition rates, our BS in Aviation is significantly less expensive than comparable programs. Plus, financial aid is available to most students to help offset the costs. Maine Instrument Flight is also a V.A. approved FAA Part 141 flight school for all flight training programs, excluding the Private Pilot Course; so, if you’ve served in the armed forces, your military education benefits may pay 100% of your tuition and fees. Note: The VA will not pay for Private Pilot training.

In an effort to further reduce flight training costs, the University of Maine at Augusta has purchased a Red Bird FMX Full Motion Flight Simulator and integrated it into the curriculum. Students will benefit by using the simulator as a part of their training in many ways including being able to simulate a variety of tasks, malfunctions, and maneuvers that will greatly enhance their overall training experience.

The Bachelor’s in Aviation degree program is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).

These are just a few of the many reasons why you should choose MIF & UMA to complete your flight training!  For more information on the program and applying, contact UMA Admissions at 1-877-UMA-1234 or go to

Enrollment Requirements

A clear, unrestricted class 1 or 2 Medical Certificate issued by a FAA-certified Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) is a requirement for admission into this degree program.

To locate an AME closest to you, please visit the FAA’s website or click this link.

Aircraft Renter’s Insurance is also required for program enrollment; there are many companies that provide this coverage and we encourage students to shop around. Students will be required to carry the following minimum coverage: $250,000 in Liability and $40,000 in Hull Damage. Click here for more information on renter’s insurance.